Senior Beamline Scientist / Beamline Scientist - Macromolecular Crystallography
|Job Title||Senior Beamline Scientist / Beamline Scientist - Macromolecular Crystallography|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Competitive, commensurate with experience and qualifications|
|Application deadline||Open Vacancy|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science. Structural biology is a key research area and is supported by other world leading facilities on the campus. These include the Membrane Protein Laboratory at Diamond, the UK national protein production and crystallisation facility (OPPF-UK) and CCP4. The latter two facilities are located in the Research Complex at Harwell (RCaH) which hosts a broad range of interdisciplinary research groups. Also on-site are the UKs neutron source facility ISIS, as well as the Central Laser Facility.
I03 is a tuneable crystallography beamline that forms part of the suite of beamlines within the macromolecular crystallography village at Diamond. I03 is one of only two MX beamlines worldwide offering biocontainment up to level 3 for the study of pathogenic samples, and it is the only one of its kind in Europe. A state-of-the-art bespoke end-station, a 100 Hz Pilatus3 6M pixel array detector and a fast, reliable robot for automated sample handling provide the possibility of both 100 K and room temperature data collection. I03 also offers users the option of in-situ (crystallisation plate) data collection and crystal characterisation.
The Beamline Scientist will work closely with the Principal Beamline Scientist in the continuing development of Beamline I03 and the automation systems for the MX Village including design, procurement, construction and commissioning of upgrades. The successful candidate will be expected to develop an internationally competitive research programme in methods development or structural biology that complements the research and development activities within the MX village.
To support the Principal Beamline Scientist for I03 in the following areas:
- Continued commissioning and further optimisation of the beamline.
- Development and support of automation systems for the MX village.
- Operational support and analysis of beamline systems including fault diagnosis and resolution.
- Perform local contact and out of hours support across the MX beamlines by providing users with advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques.
- Assist in the design, commissioning and operation of new equipment for the beamline.
- Carry out own research in an area relevant to the beamline and disseminate through publications and presentations.
Additional duties for appointment at Senior level:
- Take the lead in the design, procurement, installation and commissioning of significant beamline components.
- Develop own research/technical expertise to become internationally recognised through publications and presentations for own work in an area relevant to beamline.
- Contribute to the development of new systems and approaches for MX at I03
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to design, plan, organise, and implement projects and tasks within an allotted timeframe;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of-hours working.
Essential for appointment at the higher level
- Significant postdoctoral or equivalent experience;
- Demonstrated track record in crystallography or synchrotron radiation related research.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of crystallographic data collection at a synchrotron;
- Commissioning and operation of macromolecular crystallography X-ray equipment (“home source” or synchrotron beamline);
- Experience in robotics and automation applications;
- Beamline instrumentation and optics;
- Project management;
- Python and/or Java programming.
Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Please note that the role holder will be working on the beamline during biocontainment level 3 experiments and will be required to gain medical clearance by our Occupational Health Service.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com